For the final bond inspection – at the end of any tenancy, a property manager will conduct a final inspection of the property to ensure that it is being left in the same condition it was handed to the tenants in at the start of the lease. This is a vital part of the vacating process as it determines how much of the bond will be refunded to the tenants. In Queensland, the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 states that ‘at the end of the tenancy, the tenant must leave the premises and inclusions, as far as possible, in the same condition they were in at the start of the tenancy, fair wear and tear excepted.’
The term ‘fair wear and tear’ is not exclusively defined in the act and as such is considered to be:
- Wear that happens during normal use; carpet in a hallway would generally be more worn than carpet in less used areas of a house
- Changes that happen with ageing; curtains that are exposed to direct sunlight will fade over time
This act gives leeway to tenants in that so long as the rental property is left sufficiently clean (how it was when they received it), the ageing or degradation of aspects of the property will be taken into consideration. Here are a few examples of what generally is and is not fair wear and tear:
Is Fair Wear and Tear:
- Cracked window pane due to old warped frames
- Garden mulch breaking down over time
- Paint fading and discolouring over time
- Plaster cracks as building settles
- Worn carpets due to day-to-day use
Is Not Fair Wear and Tear:
- Cracked window pane from carelessly slamming window shut
- Animals or pets digging up garden mulch
- Paint discolouring due to tenant’s smoking habits
- Plaster chipped by nails being hammered in
- Scratches on kitchen bench tops due to cutting foods without a chopping board
There’s an old saying – treat others how you want to be treated – this same sentiment should apply to your rental property. For instance you certainly wouldn’t want to move into a dirty property, so it makes sense that you leave your property in a nice condition for the next tenants.
We hope the above info assists you in determining what you need to look out for and how we can make your final bond inspection go smoothly.
Why choose Really Cheap Bond Cleaning?
Over 3,400 clients have trusted us with their bond clean and have received a bond refund. We pride ourselves on a quality job, so we’re certain you’ll love our service. That’s why we offer a *7 day guarantee, including one free call out. Our bond cleaning service follows the Residential Tenancies Authority’s bond cleaning checklist, to make sure the job is done right the first time. We offer competitive pricing, to ensure your bond cleaning is completed at the most affordable price. Plus, all our teams are reliable, fully insured, police checked and receive ongoing training to exceed your expectations.
If you are located in Brisbane, Ipswich or the Gold Coast and are in need of a bond cleaner, carpet steam cleaner, pest controller or gardener; get in touch with us today! We can walk you through what needs to be done to satisfy your exit condition report and to maximise your bond refund.
Call us to day on 0439 977 484.
*7 day guarantee T&C’s apply